I’m often emailed with questions about how blogging. Mostly people want to know how I make an income from it and are looking for tips on how they can do the same. I wrote an e-book about it but since information is always changing it’s a bit difficult to keep that up to date. I thought I would do a summer series with some simple steps to starting a blog, getting readers and making money from it.
I started writing sponsored posts and reviews simply because I had huge medical bills to pay for my daughter. And maybe this is a bit of a soapbox but did you know that insurance companies aren’t required to cover even a little bit of medically necessary infant formula? Scarlette’s GI issues meant that her body couldn’t process anything but a specially made, pre-digested formula. Without it, she would literally starve to death. And a month’s supply cost just slightly less than our mortgage. On top of that we visited three specialists, the pediatrician, and two therapists on a weekly basis for awhile. Even with co-pays it was an incredibly overwhelming amount of bills.
I don’t think I need to tell you how grateful I am that I could do something I love (writing) in order to help contribute to our household finances. And by household, I mean “doctor bills.” Now that Scarlette is healthier, monetizing my blog allows me to stay home with her. And most of the emails I receive are from other moms who want to do the same thing and I am all about sharing what I’ve learned over the past eight years.
Below is a list of all of the posts in this series, updated as I add a new one (or two!) each week!
- How To Start A Blog
- How To Install A WordPress Theme
- How To Create And Add A Header To Your Blog
- Learning How To Use HTML code For Blogging
- How To Design And Use Sidebar Widgets
- How To Change Your Blog Background
- How To Add A Drop Down Menu To Your Blog
- How To Create & Install A Favicon
- How To Integrate Social Media With Your Blog
- How To Compose A Post (That’s kind of important to blogging!)
- Favorite Blogging Resources + Freebies